Our wetter-than-usual start to the spring got a lot of Sioux Falls homeowners wondering if maybe the city would loosen some of the lawn watering restrictions as we head into summer.
The answer is no.
Wednesday (May 31), the City's Public Works Department issued a press release reminding residents that the watering restrictions are not a suggestion; they're the law.
According to Ordinance #50 – #52:
- Watering lawns is prohibited from 12 noon to 5 p.m.
- Property owners with even-numbered addresses may water lawns on even-numbered calendar dates.
- Property owners with odd-numbered addresses may water lawns on odd-numbered calendar dates.
- Hand watering vegetation such as shrubbery, trees, ground covers, plants, vines, gardens, vegetables, and flowers is permitted any time of day if the water is applied by a hose that does not leak and has a handheld nozzle that automatically shuts off when released.
- Newly planted lawns are exempt from the restrictions, but a city permit is required. Contact Public Works at 605-367-8600 for permit information.
The city also offers these tips for maintaining a healthy lawn:
- Avoid cutting your lawn too short. Instead, aim for slightly longer grass that can encourage a deeper root system, better absorption of moisture and nutrients, and better stress tolerance.
- Watering more volume less often forces grass roots to grow deeper, resulting in healthy root systems.
Sioux Falls: Then and Now
The City of Sioux Falls has changed dramatically over the past several years. Some of the streets, landscapes, and neighborhoods look vastly different than just 10-15 years ago.
Here's a look at Sioux Falls, then-and-now. See if you can recognize some of these old buildings, businesses, and city streets.
The Ultimate Sioux Falls Visitor's Guide: A to Z
has lots to explore; fun stuff for the whole family, food of every kind, educational opportunities, and more! If you have out-of-town guests visiting, show them around our city. Eat at places they've never eaten. Take them to places they'd never go. Take some great photos to post on social media (and don't forget the hashtag #HiFromSiouxFalls).
We've even listed some cool hotels where they can stay if you don't have the room.
It's a pretty awesome city and that's why we think you should come and visit. If you're coming on business or pleasure, we've put together a list of places to go and things to see. We know you want to explore the attractions the city is known for like Falls Park, the Arc of Dreams, and the Sculpture Walk, but there's a lot more to see and do than just the touristy (that's really a word) stuff. The best places to go are where the locals go and we have a not your average, ordinary visitor's guide.
Here's a list of over 100 things to do and places to go in Sioux Falls.
for a list of all the places we mention and links to each one. Print it out or save it to your phone and use it as a reference when you're visiting. See you soon!
Best Bars in Sioux Falls
There is always something different to try when you visit a local Sioux Falls
bar or brewery. There could be a specialty drink at one bar and a new beer recipe at the next. It's kind of like a smorgasbord of drinks to taste test. The only problem is deciding which bars are the best bars in Sioux Falls to explore with your family or friends?
This is a difficult decision just because there are so many great local options. Luckily, our friends at Yelp
identified the top ten bars in Sioux Falls thanks to numerous reviews on each establishment.
The next time it's your turn to select a bar for a night out on the town, be sure to visit one of these ten bars highly reviewed by Yelp