The only enjoyable time opening the mailbox is around the Christmas holiday. Greetings from family and friends. On any other given day, our grrrrrr comes out after finding the latest bills and rate increases. Well, get ready for another.

MidAmerican Energy Company is sticking it to us again! In a release from the South Dakota Public Utilities Commission, MidAmerican Energy Co. was granted approval for a settlement stipulation to increase rates for natural gas service to customers in its South Dakota retail service territory.

Does it seem we just saw a rate increase recently? Or was that the electricity rate?

KSOO-AM / ESPN Sioux Falls logo
Get our free mobile app

The release states this will be MidAmerican’s first base rate increase in eight years. The company attributed the increase to a major effort in replacing an aging system and expanding infrastructure to serve growth in southeastern South Dakota, as well as inflation.


Based on your current base rate, customers will see an approximate 5.4% increase in the average total bill.

PUC Commissioner Chris Nelson acknowledged the various factors in an average natural gas bill.

“I want customers to clearly understand this increase,” Nelson said. “There are two portions to your natural gas bill. About 70% of your bill is for the actual gas itself. That is all market driven. The other part, about 30% of your bill, is for the distribution. That is regulated by the PUC and that’s exactly what we are dealing with. By law, your utility company is allowed to recover some of those costs. In this rate case, the company asked for a little over $7 million. Over the last year, PUC staff has very, very diligently picked through every one of their expenditures and has pared that down to the absolute minimum. Now, we’re looking at a 20.1% increase in the portion we regulate. That’s a large number for the distribution portion of the bill, but it’s what is required by law so we are required to approve this particular settlement,” Nelson explained.

It was further pointed out that MidAmerican Energy Co. will be held to a three-year rate moratorium that will prevent them from filing for an increase to base rates that would go into effect prior to Nov. 1, 2025.

LOOK: Here are 25 ways you could start saving money today

These money-saving tips—from finding discounts to simple changes to your daily habits—can come in handy whether you have a specific savings goal, want to stash away cash for retirement, or just want to pinch pennies. It’s never too late to be more financially savvy. Read on to learn more about how you can start saving now. [From: 25 ways you could be saving money today]

LOOK: The 25 least expensive states to live in

Here are the top 25 states with the lowest cost of living in 2022, using data Stacker culled from the Council for Community and Economic Research.

LOOK: See how much gasoline cost the year you started driving

To find out more about how has the price of gas changed throughout the years, Stacker ran the numbers on the cost of a gallon of gasoline for each of the last 84 years. Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (released in April 2020), we analyzed the average price for a gallon of unleaded regular gasoline from 1976 to 2020 along with the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for unleaded regular gasoline from 1937 to 1976, including the absolute and inflation-adjusted prices for each year.

Read on to explore the cost of gas over time and rediscover just how much a gallon was when you first started driving.

More From KSOO-AM / ESPN Sioux Falls