WATERLOO, IA -- The Waterloo Black Hawks had the most explosive offense during the regular season and carried that over to the postseason as they downed the Sioux Falls Stampede 7-4 in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinal series Friday night at Young Arena.

The Black Hawks lead the best-of-five series 1-0 with Game 2 set for Saturday night in Waterloo.

Four different players scored goals for the Herd who got a two point performance from Zeb Knutson in the loss. David Jacobson stopped 40 of 47 shots in goal for the Herd who rallied all game, but came up just short in the third period.

The Black Hawks jumped on the Herd early scoring 4:49 in on a goal from Brandon Montour. Blake Winiecki made it 2-0 at 9:57 when he scored on the power play and the Hawks had an early 2-0 lead.

The Herd broke through though at 15:10 when Knutson found the back of the net. C.J. Franklin wristed a shot on net that was stopped by Waterloo netminder Cal Peterson, but the rebound came to Knutson who shot the puck over the outstretched Peterson to make it a 2-1 game at the end of one period. Waterloo outshot the Herd 9 to 7 in the period.

Sioux Falls went on a 5-on-3 advantage early in the second period and cashed in when Christian Horn took a pass from Knutson and blasted a shot into the back of the net to tie the game 2-2.

The Hawks would rally with back-to-back goals of their own less than two minutes apart to make it a 4-2 game.

Just 32 seconds after the Hawks' fourth goal, Louis Nanne pulled the Herd back within one when he raced down the left wing boards and wristed a shot perfectly into the upper right hand corner of the net.

Moments later it appeared the Stampede had tied the game 4-4 on a goal from Ed McGovern, but after further review the goal was waived off because it was knocked in by a Stampede hand in the crease. That kept the game 4-3 at that is where it ended after two periods.

The Hawks started the third period on a 5-on-3 advantage and took only 19 seconds to cash in. Montour blasted a shot from the high slot past Jacobson to make it a 5-3 game. Six minutes later it was Liam Pecararo who found the back of the net to make it a 6-3.

Nolan Gluchowski cut into that lead at 10:57 when he took a pass from McGovern and Jason Stephanik and brought the puck through the slot before wristing it past the glove of Peterson. That would be as close as the Herd would get however as Montour completed the hat trick at 17:16 to give the Black Hawks a 7-4 lead and that is where the game would end up.

Waterloo outshot the Herd 47-29 and finished 2-for-5 on the power play while the Herd went 1-for-5.

Game 2 is set for Saturday night in Waterloo at 7:05 PM.


Sioux Falls Stampede

Courtesy:  Sioux Falls Stampede