EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Trae Waynes intercepted Tommy Armstrong's pass with 30 seconds remaining, and No. 10 Michigan State held off a furious Nebraska rally, beating the No. 19 Cornhuskers 27-22 on Saturday night.

The Spartans (4-1, 1-0 Big Ten) led 27-3 heading into the fourth quarter before three Nebraska touchdowns set up a tense finish. A 43-yard pass to Alonzo Moore gave the Huskers the ball at the Michigan State 37 with just under a minute to play.

But on a day when several other top teams lost in wild upsets, Nebraska (5-1, 1-1) couldn't finish this comeback. Armstrong's pass to the end zone fell incomplete, and Waynes then came up with his second interception of the game.

The Spartans shut down Nebraska's vaunted running game, and the Cornhuskers didn't score in the first half despite three Michigan State turnovers in its own territory. Tony Lippett caught a 55-yard touchdown pass from Connor Cook in the first quarter, and when he scored on a 32-yard reverse, Michigan State was up 27-3 with 2:02 remaining in the third.

But Nebraska star Ameer Abdullah, who was held to 45 yards rushing, scored on a pair of short runs in the fourth, and De'Mornay Pierson-El returned a punt 62 yards for a touchdown to make it 27-22 with 3:22 remaining. It might have been closer, but Nebraska attempted a pair of 2-point conversions in the fourth and missed them both.

Michigan State recovered an onside kick but couldn't run out the clock. With Nebraska out of timeouts, Jeremy Langford was forced out of bounds, stopping the clock with 1:12 remaining and bringing up fourth down. Then Michael Geiger's 36-yard field goal attempt missed, bouncing off the left upright and crossbar.

That gave Nebraska the ball at its own 20, but the Spartans held on.

Nebraska entered the game ranked No. 2 in the nation in rushing, and Michigan State was No. 4 in rushing defense. That matchup wasn't much of a contest. The Huskers managed only 47 yards on the ground -- they had been averaging 355.

Cook's pass was intercepted on his first attempt, but Nebraska went three and out and punted, a wasted opportunity that set the tone for the half. Lippett slipped free deep down the left sideline and caught Cook's pass for a 7-0 lead later in the first quarter.

Langford's 31-yard scoring run made it 14-0 in the second quarter, but his fumble later in the quarter gave Nebraska the ball at the Michigan State 41.

Again the Cornhuskers couldn't take advantage, but their punt was fumbled by Macgarrett Kings, giving Nebraska the ball at the 24. The Huskers were inside the 10 when Abdullah's fumble ended that drive.

It was 17-0 at halftime.

Abdullah had rushed for over 200 yards in each of his previous two games, but he was barely a factor in this one until the fourth quarter.

Huskers wide receiver Kenny Bell was hurt in the first half and did not return. The school did not immediately identify his injury.

Michigan State center Jack Allen was ejected in the fourth quarter for a second unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.


Tommy Armstrong Jr., Nebraska Cornhuskers and Shilique Calhoun, Michigan State Spartans
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

More From KSOO-AM / ESPN Sioux Falls