Senior Spotlight: O’Gorman Lady Knights Celebrate a Perfect Season
Four seniors helped lead the O'Gorman Lady Knights to a season that is among one of the most impressive in the history of South Dakota basketball.
O'Gorman went a perfect 20-0 through the regular season and defeated Douglas in the SoDak16 to stand at 21-0 heading into the state tournament. Only six opponents were able to keep games within ten points or less against the Knights, and O'Gorman finished the season with an average margin of victory of 23.4 points.
Seniors Emma Ronsiek, Carly Kunkel, Allison Crouch, and Sophonise Nielson led the way for the record-setting season. These four seniors have been a part of the varsity roster for a minimum of three years, and have helped the Knights make the state tournament each year during their high school careers.
*These 4 seniors have meant a tremendous amount to O'Gorman Girls Basketball and our successes. They not only are excellent basketball players but great role models and people off the court. We will greatly miss them!. I know they will all be extremely successful in all future endeavors!" - Kent Kolsrud, O'Gorman Head Coach.
Emma Ronsiek, G/F
- A four-year starter at O'Gorman
- Averaged 16.5 points/game, 8.5 rebounds/game during her senior year.
- Named Gatorade South Dakota Girls Basketball Player of the Year for 2019-2020. The all-time leading scorer in O'Gorman Lady Knights basketball history.
- College: Committed to Creighton University to play basketball.
"Emma has had an incredible career for the Lady Knights. She has a love for basketball and a passion to be extremely successful. She brings so much to the table with her ability to score, rebound, pass, handle the ball, & affect the game in so many ways. Emma has had a great senior season and provided us with great leadership!" - Kent Kolsrud
Carly Kunkel, PG
- Has played on the varsity roster since her freshman year. A three-year starter.
- Averaged 7.3 points/game and led the team in total assists (75) her senior year. A dangerous outside shooter.
- College: Attending the University of South Dakota
"Carly has been a terrific leader & Pt. Gd. for our team. She is an excellent ballhandler & passer, knocked in some big 3's, good defender, & a fierce competitor. Carly is a very hard worker and has been a key component of our successes." - Kent Kolsrud
Allison Crouch, G
- She has been a member of the varsity roster since her sophomore season.
- Played as the official "6th man" for O'Gorman during her senior year.
- Averaged 5.2 points/game and added 34 assists and 13 steals in 2019-2020
- College: Undecided
"Allison has had an excellent senior season. She is a very dynamic playmaker--can get to the basket & finish extremely well, knocked in some big shots, & an excellent ball-handler. She brought our team a huge lift off the bench this year." - Kent Kolsrud
Sophonise Nielson, F
- Sophonise has been a member of the varsity roster since her sophomore year.
- Coming off the bench, she provided a spark on the defensive side of the ball and could control the paint.
- College: Undecided
*Soph is truly an amazing & talented person--She brings a tremendous energy to our team & is a strong post player. She accepted her role and was invaluable in helping her team be successful and providing great senior leadership. She even sang the national anthem at one of our games and was inspiring to all in attendance. Gave us all goose-bumps." - Kent Kolsrud
Congratulations to all the O'Gorman Lady Knights on a phenomenal season and career!
In conjunction with Scott Van Pelt's Senior Spotlight, each day ESPN 99.1 will highlight our local seniors for their accomplishments on the court throughout their careers.